Saturday, September 29, 2007

Paradise-- to each his own

Parenting 5 kids is very hard. It is stressful, and it is never ending. Kevin and I have an agreement that we each get to go away one weekend in alternating quarters of the year. It is a nice chance to decompress, do something that does not require planning what kids(or spouses) will enjoy. Kevin is on his trip. He is climbing Mt Whitney in California. This is the highest point in the continental US. He will be sleeping on the side of the mountain in 20 degree weather and walking uphill 6 miles in the cold. (so glad to have sat this one out--can you tell?) Oh I also forgot to mention this is a bear infested mountain, and they have to carry out all of their own waste products in a little "wag" bag.


While I am sure that it is really beautiful, and he will feel very accomplished when he is at that summit, I can see myself in a warm place with a book, and nobody whining that they need me to get them something. There are no bears in my paradise. There is a flushing toilet, and running water.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I'm with YOU on that one! No mountains, bears, exercise or carrying 'waste' for me either. Give me a beach and book and maybe a few beverages of my choice and I am good! Now that is paradise! And yes, parenting is hard with two kids, I am sure that is magnified many times with five. I'll pray for your sanity while Kevin is away :)