Sunday, November 08, 2009

The ability to accessorize


The girls spend lots and lots of time taking to each other. They rarely need me for conversation, unless there is a fight to break up, but I get front row seats to a sociological experiment in the making each day. Today it was about fashion. Apparently in the world of first grade it is good to be "fancy". This means that you have lots of sparkly clothes, tall boots, and jewelry. Jilly wore high heel strappy sandals to school today. Normally I would nix that, but sometimes a mom just has to say yes to prove that I can.
Anyway, they have begun asking for hats, scarves, furry vests, tall boots, and anything that sparkles. They hate sporty, non-fancy, clothes. In some ways I get it. Bling is fun. In other ways it makes me sad. I hate that they are already worried about dressing right. They are already comparing themselves to others based on what they "have" not who they "are". It takes an interesting balance to let life be fun and silly for the 6 yr old without letting the pre-teen out of the bag just yet...

1 comment:

Heather said...

super cute picture! and yes, 6 is way too early for that. shouldn't they still be fighting over barbies or who sits where in the car or something??? but, fashion??? too early. oh the joy of raising girls :)