It was a nutty weekend. One of those that having 5 kids really does make me "busy" and "have my hands full". Yesterday was soccer, cheer, and 2 kids in a play. Today was Swim meet and teaching confirmation. Every 2 hours for 48 hours made a nap a necessity. (that's ok, cause I really love a Sunday nap.)
My title refers to the numskulls at the swim meet. Here is how my morning went. I arrive at 7 am to work admissions. That means taking $ to get in, and selling heat sheets. We (me and the other parent VOLUNTEERS) had no less than 5 people bitch us out about paying to get in.
"I pay for swim team, why do I have to pay admission?" (It costs a lot to rent the pool time and run the team, so to offset costs a bit, we host meets to make $$) "But I should not have to pay because my kid is not that fast." (seriously would be much more difficult to charge by how fast your kid is....) "I should not have to pay because I am here to watch my sisters kids (not swimmers) while she does a volunteer job" (kinda think that is a better job for at home. Who wants to watch a bunch of little kids who are not swimming AT THE MEET??) " I should not have to pay because I did not have to pay this summer." (different team, different rules, no costs to use the club pools) "I should not have to pay because I don't even want my kid to be a swimmer" (UHHH, then don't sign him/her up for swim team?) "I should not have to pay because my wife did not tell me I would need any money" (do your therapy somewhere else). "why do you want to rip me off by charging?" (seriously, yes, I personally get to spend all this $, so I can see why you think this is my fault.) "what a scam!!" and on, and on....
I get it, people would like things to be free. They say they would prefer to pay it all up front, yet complain that they get charged too much for the sport. They hate the cost of swimming, they wish their kid chose something else, they are mad at the wife for getting them up early, and sending them witout cash.... BUT how in the world would it be the fault of the parents who got stuck doing that particular job at the meet? I finally told the last guy, "look. I can see you are mad about this, but I don't make the rules. I don't even like all the rules, and you yelling at us, makes this very unpleasant for all of us." He stomped off in a huff. over $5 dollars.....
No comments:
Post a Comment