Monday, August 17, 2015

Sappy Mom: preparing for senior year...

Baby boy is going to be a senior.  He'll turn 18 this year, and I suppose if he wanted to, he could pack up his legos, and hit the road.  I don't see that happening this go around, but I will say that it goes by so much faster than you think it will.

My kids will be quick to point out that I cry- a lot.  At internet bits of soldiers came home reunions, and hallmark commercials, I am a complete mess when people die after a poignant scene in a movie.  But I don't normally have trouble letting go of my kids.  First day of kindergarten?  See ya!  Mommy will be here when you get home.   Dance recitals?  Awe very cute, but not tear worthy.  Dropping at sleep away camp?  Peace and quiet at home for a few days!  I have a sinking feeling that this senior year stuff might be harder.  

It's a real accomplishment to get your child all the way through all the years of school.  You have to navigate: dress codes, homework, mean teachers,  playground bullies, and don't even get me started on the policies which make sense to one narrow thinker, but always seem to not work for the masses.   There are activities, and social choices.  There are sleepovers, non-invites, and cuts from sports teams.   Your perfect newborn who you silently vow to protect from the big cruel world will (despite your best efforts)
come through it bloodied and strong enough to stand on his own.... I hope.

I have 9 more months of "before" memories.  One more season of running, one more season of swim.   I am so proud of the young man he is becoming.  He is a compassionate, hard-working, dedicated, team player.  His generous nature, and even his angst make him who he is, and will be.   And when that final day arrives and I watch my baby-man walk across the stage in cap and gown, I may cry, but only for a bit.  After all, two of the others are bound to start fighting and snap me right out of it.  This will remind me that a new chapter is starting. 

No comments: