Monday, October 30, 2006

A pleasant Sunday







Yesterday was spent doing a mix of family things and errands. We went to church together which was nice, but Hadley has decided in the past week of so that she is the fussiest baby alive. We spent much of the service walking the halls with her. The nursey would probably take her, but I am not sure I am ready to hand her over yet.

After church we took the kids the bowling alley for lunch. Those readers from Muscatine need to picture a different scene. This place is bright, new, smoke free, and has a huge arcade, and rides for the kids. Kind of like a chuckie cheese without the big scary mouse, and 5000 runny nosed toddlers looking for someone to infect. We had a great time winning tickets, riding the carousel, and the speed boats, which as a side note I must say were a little disturbing, as they had two toy GUNS mounted on the back of each for shooting the kid in the boat behind you. My girls took turns trying to look into the guns with their eyes, thinking they were telescopes--sheltered I guess.

I got a shopping trip out alone during nap time on a quest for a post-maternity wardrobe. Is it just me, or in the 9 months that you are out of those clothes, does everything you own turn to crap? I have jeans with huge holes in the knees, one with a hole in the butt. I have t shirts with stains, unmatched socks, and the worlds dorkiest shoe collection. I managed to discover only that Old Navy, my previous jean source, only sells jeans that ride so low, that I have no underwear that don't stick about 6 inches out the top of them. Much to my joy, they do still cater to us old lady types in their online store where they can hide the "at-waist" fit jeans like a dirty little secret.

Kevin went out next looking for a new suit or two. He's Kevin, he bought two. Why can men go into the first store they see and have no problem finding an abundance of great items? This is why they don't understand the need to shop for hours. Actually I am glad he had good luck. He has had the same suits for a number of years. Some of them dating back to the early pre-kid years of our marriage, which I can't remember even existing.

In the late afternoon, we enjoyed an unseasonably warm afternoon outside riding scooters, and even managed to deliver the neighborhood hobgoblin to the little girl next door without being seen. It is a little paper ghost that you leave with candy on the doorstep and ring the bell and run. I can attest that Ian is a very fast runner when he does not want to be seen.

Overall it was a great day. Nothing to outlandish, but peaceful. We enjoyed our kids, which I am shamed to admit has not been the reality lately. It's more like survival mode, than quality family time , but we are working on it.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I am so glad you clarified the bowling alley adventure :) My first thought was, "lunch at the bowling alley?, eeeewwww!"

I enjoyed your post today. Such fun and games at this stage of life, isn't it?!

I can identify with the whole post-maternity/clothes shopping experience. However, my clothes don't turn to crap, my BODY did!!!

Thanks for sharing your family with us distant readers!! (Great pics too)