For literally, years The Purpose Driven Life has been sitting on my bookshelf, unread. I am a reader, I hate books that you are supposed to read and ponder a little at a time. I like to tackle it at my speed, hurry it along. It will be a challenge for the next 40 days to rad only one part at a time. It will be a challenge to not slack, and to take the time to think it all through. I am determined to see it through. To find out what all the fuss is about. What got me here, finally? It was hearing the Rick Warren gives 90 percent of his income away. It was hearing that upon gaining personal wealth, he repaid the church for all the years of salary they had paid him. He enjoys serving God- for free. How many of us would do that if we could? I want to know more.
Point 1
It's not about me?
Really? That is a tough one for me. I like it when I get to plan around what I want/need. If my entire purpose is not about me, that means I am selfish. I am living without thinking about what God wants. I have no trouble with the idea of God as creator, but I get stuck when I consider the possibilty that he did not create me to do great things for myself....my family, my people..... God created me for his own purpose. It may not have anything to do with my happiness. Ouch-- what if the point of my life is not self-improvent? What if my service to the world is not what makes me happy?
4 comments:
Wow, that sounds like some book. I might have to check it out.
Michelle
i've had the book but just haven't picked it up to read it. maybe now is the time to start it!
I read this book a couple of years ago. It is one that I still pull out and pick through every now and again.
Doing HIS work, for HIS glory, being HIS hands and feet, doing what HE planted us here to do, furthering HIS kingdom. It's not about us at all. But, amazingly enough, when you get past what your 'head' is telling you and dig deep into your heart and dutifully and faithfully glorify Him in everything, it becomes what makes you happy. That is part of continuing to grow in Christ.
Reminds me of the words of a song I repeat to myself quite often -
not to us oh lord, not to us oh lord, but to your name....be glory, be honor and praise, not to us, not to us....
I'm tired just thinking about you reading that book. Let me get back to "Confessions of a Shopaholic." :)
Post a Comment