Thursday, February 19, 2009

Open House Part 2: The Event and Commentary

I hate to say I told you so, and in this case I would be talking to myself, so I don't know how effective it is.... Open House was a train wreck. Four kids who all have a list of VERY important things to show us, a two-year old who has no interest in seeing them, and six hundred families in 85 degree temps. Good Times.

Ian went first. He did better than normal, and was not quite as socially backward about talking to his teacher and friends out of the normal setting as he has been in the past. He had a few things to show us, and was mercifully ready to tour the kindergarten wing.

After weaving through the massive sea of people with our tribe, we started in Jilly's room. She did not want anything to do with her teacher, and was more interested in showing us the work that her "boyfriend" has done, than her own. See where the teen years are headed?

Ella was next. Little Miss Kindergarten wanted to show us every detail or her class. Not just her powerpoint slide, but each member of her class. She needed me to see every page in the class book, recite the entire calendar to me, and show me where she puts her lunch money.

Holly was bummed to be last. Her class was busy, the line to see her teacher rivaled one for a ride at Disney. Hadley was really done, and by then it was even difficult to get the other kids to care where Holly's class keeps their kleenex....

After a visit to every class, we had to do the obligatory tour of the specials classes, the cafeteria, the LMC, the Principal's office, and the elevator. Jilly, at this point realized that she did not remember to show me her journal, and demanded a second trip to her class. When I balked at the idea, I was met with her screaming at the top of her little lungs, "You don't want to see my journal because you HATE me!!" UM--Honey, that is not it, really, I love you... don't scream things like that in front of the principal and the psychologist.. it's okay babe, if it means that much to you.... "YOU SAID I WAS BEING A PAIN IN THE BUTT YESTERDAY!!!!" Nice, ever wanted to die right in the middle of the kids' school?

I am thinking there has to be a divide and conquer strategy for 2010.

3 comments:

Love Those Gs said...

Anyway to skip it? You could try the "the tickets didn't come yet". Then you make up pretend tickets and put them in the mailbox the day AFTER open house......Not that I have EVER done that. By third grade, they catch on but K-2 it does work....(but only once)

Mishelle said...

I feel your pain. We were thinking of the divide and conquer idea too after being tortured by our 4 a couple of weeks ago. Do they try and see just how hot they can heat up the school for those things?!

The Sohn Family said...

You could always move back to Arizona where they don't seem to care as much and have never heard of "open house".