Friday, July 18, 2008

Book Reviews


I just finished Sunday's at Tiffany's by James Patterson, and Open House by Elizabeth Berg. They were both quite readable.

Breakfast was more simplistic, no real thinking, just a decent story. Little girl with the best imaginary friend ever finds herself needing him again in later life-- and there he is--- could he be REAL??? There was an element of deeper storyline in that the woman was trying to overcome her dominating mother her whole life, but I would say a pretty surface read.

Open House was more emotionally challenging. What to do if your husband leaves you story line. It was an interesting journey through her move to independence. I can't imagine starting over, trying to relearn how to live, and deal with the rejection--- it was somewhat emotionally grinding to consider these points. (I guess it's lucky for me that Kevin is stuck here with me and all these kids....) Still gave me stuff to think about. The way we become attached to the consistency of our lives, the way we value the mundane-what we think that society expects us too instead of what actually is functional, what really makes us feel whole.

Anyway-- they are up for grabs to any blog readers who want to read them next.

No comments: