Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Weighing the Pros and Cons

The new morning routine is for the kids to race and get ready for school so they can get outside to play hockey! It has always been Ian's thing to get some outdoor play in before he leaves for school, and he is not really sure he likes sharing the driveway with his sisters. He is slightly intrigued that he has their attention, and he likes that they want to play his game, but it is very frustrating playing with three girls who would prefer to have their own "puck", who do not like to venture into the wet grass to retrieve balls, and who want to change his rules every 5 seconds.

This new routine sounds like such a good thing. The kids want to get their stuff done so they can play, they are outside so in theory I should be able to clean the kitchen after breakfast, Kevin can work in peace, and it gives them less time for messy art projects in the morning. If they would just get along for a few minutes at a time, I would love it. The problem is--- they just can't seem to play for even a couple seconds without some sort of altercation. Bickering alone is okay, but bickering with a large wooden stick in their hands, is a recipe for disaster. Plus the fighting alerts Hadley that they are playing outside, which is not something she is willing to be left out of.

So I guess it is only a few weeks until it is simply too cold to go out before school, and I will stick it out. I am sure in January,when I am up to my elbows in glitter-glue and paper scraps, I will dream of the days where I could shuck the noise outside where it belongs, and not have to scurry to find shoes at the last second.






1 comment:

Deanna said...

i struggle to get aubrey out of bed let alone having time to play hockey before school!!