We are in that stage of remodel where it looks worse before it looks better. The house looks like a natural disaster blew through. Paint on the floors, dust everywhere, no cabinet doors, or drawers, plastic drapes, and blankets to cover everything that will stand still. That said, Kevin has worked really hard to get lots done each night with a goal of next Monday for things to shape up a lot. That is the day the floor crew comes to start refinishing the hardwoods, so we are trying to complete all the messier projects before then.
Yesterday I spent most of the time the girls were at school at the home design store picking tile for a kitchen backsplash. That is done, I think, and I am on to area rugs and hardware for the cabinets. It is really hard to trust your own vision on things, so I am lucky that my friend Mishelle, who has expertise in interior design has acted as my consultant. She has put up with lots of discussion of my kitchen, and projects, for which I am very grateful.
Yesterday I learned about rug binding. Did you know that you can just have about any piece of carpet made into an area rug? I am now overwhelmed by the possibilities. I also now need to pick a kitchen sink and faucet (the kind that matches, but doesn't cost enough to make the husband cry) and a black refrigerator.
The kids are weathering the disaster very well, and looking forward to some time at Grandma and Grandpa's next week while the guys do the floors. Ian is even getting in on the process a little, asking to paint, carrying things places, and pointing out that the refrigerator now looks "terrible" with the new white cabinet color. I think he likes being the only kid allowed to touch anything, and the one who is still awake when most of the work begins. All in all it is way simpler to hire this stuff done, and move on with life, but we are saving lots in labor, and it is neat to think that we did it ourselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment